Life Long Learners
Staff at Glengala are passionate about education for their students, our community and for each other. It is important that we continue to grow and learn to keep our skills fresh and up to date with all the current theories and evidenced based programs on offer in education. This means from time to time staff will be absent on days, leave site early to attend learning or arrive late after attending learning off site. This term we have a number of staff undertaking a range of Professional Learning opportunities.
- Elise, Kate, Sam C, Sam F & myself have all recently been learning on a Professional Learning Communities course.
- Sam C has commenced her Masters in Educational Leadership through Melbourne University.
- Rania, Elise & Kate are completing their second component of a Foundation Literacy learning through our regional office.
- Alex, Keith, Milly & Josie recently completed a day learning about supporting learning and development of students with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Geraldine has recently completed learning around Health & Physical Education and Attendance Improvement initiatives.
- Susie & Kate have continued Professional Learning linked to supporting our school implementation of School Wide Positive Behaviours through our regional office.
- Claire & Nikki have recently undertaken learning in Composting and other Environmental initiatives as part of their Green Warrior and Environmental Staff Action Team roles.
- Elise & Grant are about to undertake the Create – Middle Leaders course over the remainder of 2019 through the Bastow Leadership Institute.
- All of our teaching staff have had afternoon sessions with our Learning Specialist Kate on Student Goal Setting and maths teaching & learning with Cathy our school based coach from the Mathematics Association of Victoria (MAV).
Our first School Council meeting for 2019 was held the other week with lots of discussion and eagerness from council members about our school and our continued commitment for improvement.
2019 School Council:
President – Sarah
Vice President – Arzu
Treasurer – Matthew
Executive Officer – Kris
Parent Rep – Thao
Parent Rep – Aisha
Parent Rep – Pamela
Parent Rep – Brianna
DET Rep – Sam F
DET Rep – Kate
DET Rep – Kellie
Thank you to everyone who has returned their sold raffle tickets. We have additional books to be sold if you would like. Please remember there are prizes for the top 3 families who sell the most raffle tickets.The Easter Raffle will be drawn next Wednesday morning. All ticket stubs and money must be returned by 9am Wednesday 3rd of April for inclusion in the draw.
This Saturday 30th of March from 8:30pm – 9:30pm is Earth Hour; all homes and businesses are asked to turn off their power/lights for the hour. Earth Hour is a worldwide grassroots movement uniting people to protect the planet, and is organised by WWF. Engaging a massive mainstream community on a broad range of environmental issues, Earth Hour was famously started as a lights-off event in Sydney, Australia in 2007. Since then it has grown to engage more than 7000 cities and towns worldwide. Our school will participate in Schools Earth Hour tomorrow, Friday 29th March. Visit earthhour.org.au for more information. #EarthHour
End of Term – Friday 5th April – 1.40pm
It’s hard to believe but next Friday 5th April is the last day of Term 1! At the end of Term 1, 2 and 3 we finish school an hour earlier than usual. With our recess break finishing at 2.15pm our students will actually finish school for the term at 1.40pm. Please ensure that arrangements have been made for your children to be collected early on this day or booked into Kelly Club for After School Care.
If you have questions, feedback or are experiencing any difficulties please don’t hesitate to contact Sam, Sam or myself via phone, send us an email or come and have a chat.